“The Father of Topical Vitamin C”
Research Scientist, Natural Product Chemist & Phyto-C Founder
With a passion for discovery and natural ingredients, Dr. Mostafa M. Omar can easily be acknowledged for inventing one of the skin care industry’s most important anti-‐aging innovations – the world’s only stabilized liquid form of L-‐Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Dubbed the “Father of Liquid L-‐Ascorbic Acid” by the National Cancer Institute, Dr. Omar has been researching; investigating and developing medicines and skin care solutions for the past 40 years. His deep-‐rooted background in pharmacognosy, the study of medicinal drugs derived from plants or other natural sources throughout history make him one the most intriguing, knowledgeable and experienced experts in the skin care industry today.
With a dual emphasis on product chemistry and archeology, Dr. Omar’s talent was widely established. In 1994 he was asked to create a stable form of vitamin C, previously considered impossible. But his pharmacognosy background gave him an edge over other scientists and these formulas cannot be replicated to this day. This discovery led to licensing agreements with manufacturers and skin care brands globally but in 2005, Dr. Omar decided to keep his formulations proprietary to Phyto-C Skin Care.
Dr. Omar’s invention awarded him being recognized as the principal investigator for the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Photo-‐aging Prevention research. He has been conducting research and developing groundbreaking formulas as a Professor of Pharmacognosy at University of Rhode Island’s College of Pharmacy for over 40 years.
Other formulation developments pioneered by Dr. Omar include:
- Combining topical Vitamin C and Selenium for strong antioxidant protection supported by a grant from the National Cancer Institute (2012). (Provides the most effective results in reducing acute and chronic UV induced skin damage) compared to Vitamin C alone)
- SUPERHEAL™ O-‐Live Leaf Extract is developed and SuperHeal Olive Line introduced. (2011)
- Combining topical Vitamin C, Olive Leaf Extract, Vitamin E and Retinol (Vitamin A) to create a formulation with a higher antioxidant protection factor than Vitamin C alone. (2003)
- A water-‐soluble formulation of topical Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Retinol (Vitamin A) that works synergistically to provide enhanced antioxidant benefits. (1999)
- Discovers combining Vitamin C and Vitamin E in a water-‐soluble format exceeds equivalent concentrations of vitamin v, resulting in maximum antioxidant protection. (1997)
Dr. Omar continues to travel the world investigating new ingredient combinations and innovations, speaking at medical and skin conferences and educating physicians from around the world about Phyto-‐C. The brand is available is 21 countries including the United States, Canada, United Arab Emirates, Asia and Europe.